Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sour Cream Cake


For my first try at Bubbe's recipes, I decided to go with the easiest one.  Using my highly complicated metric, I chose to make the sour cream cake; it had the least amount of eggs. 

I don't think I've ever eaten this cake.  And I don't have any mushy-gushy stories to go with it.  All I can tell you is that it's delicious.  Which is why you should try making it.  As you can see, Bubbe wasn't so keen on putting exact measurements, or cooking times, or temperatures.  It took two tries, but I finally figured it out.   

When looking at the vanilla line, you can see that she just put 2.  Since these are old Eastern European recipes, I had to do some research on what that meant.  In Europe, many bakers use vanilla sugar (vs vanilla extract).  It's flavored vanilla sugar.  You can recreate it yourself by cutting open a vanilla bean and letting it sit in a sealed container of sugar for about 2 weeks.  Or you can be lazy like me and sub 1 packet to 1 tsp of extract. Some supermarkets do carry vanilla sugar in the baking aisle; I couldn't find it at Walmart.

Because I knew that this cake would take a few attempts.  I tried to convince some people to help me.  Chester was not interested.  But, luckily, Abigail was willing to help.





And Now for the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 stick of margarine (I substituted butter for this)
1 cup sugar
2 cups white flour
2 eggs- separated
12 oz of sour cream
2 tsp of baking powder
2 packets of vanilla sugar (I substituted 2 tsp of vanilla extract)
1 tsp of salt

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 

2. Cream together sugar and margarine

 3. Separate 2 eggs.  Add vanilla to egg yolks. Hold off on beating egg whites until the later step, otherwise it will need to be redone before you add them.

4. In a large bowl, add dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt

5.  Slowly add 1/3 dry mixture to creamed sugar mixture and mix on low.  Then add one egg yolk.  Continue until egg yolks and flour are blended.  

6.  Next, add 12 oz of sour cream and continue mixing.  It should look like this:

 7.  Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.  Then fold them into the cake batter.  

8.  Put cake mixture into a greased loaf pan.
 9. Bake on 300 for about an hour and a half.  It's done when the toothpick comes out dry.

 10. Voila! Serve with berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment